15 February 2011

Two years in the making, first chunk out of the box.

                                   WAITING

                    The stage opens on a park bench on a sunny day.
                    DAVID sits, watching passers-by. He appears in the
                    mode of post-college urban vagabond.

                    JENNIFER enters from offstage, carrying her lunch
                    in one hand and a paperback book in another. She
                    is clearly an off-duty cube-dweller, looking for a
                    bit of peace in a corporate life. Seeing DAVID on
                    the bench, she hesitates, passes, and crosses
                    opposite, offstage. DAVID notes with some interest
                    as she passes.

                    She returns shortly with a frustrated look,
                    passing back by the park bench. Her search for an
                    empty bench is thwarted, and she pauses to
                    consider DAVID and his bench. She decides and
                    sits.

                    A pause as she opens her book, removes a sandwich,
                    and begins her lunch.

          DAVID
                         (waves and smiles)

          JENNIFER
                         (nervously returns same)
              

                    DAVID watches someone pass. He does this with a
                    deal of muttering, note-taking, and evident
                    enjoyment. JENNIFER watches this process out of
                    the corner of her eye.

          DAVID
               Hey, uh--

          JENNIFER
                         (nervously)
               What?

          DAVID
               I, uh... nothing. Do you know what time it is?

          JENNIFER
                         (checks her watch)
               Half-past.

          DAVID
               Right, thanks.

                    JENNIFER smiles and returns eagerly to her book.
                    DAVID begins avidly to follow the passers-by. His
                    commentary becomes barely audible in the following
                    moments, culminating in an excited burst of
                    laughter. JENNIFER, as one might expect, is
                    suspicious of this behaviour.

          DAVID
                         (noticing her notice)
               Sorry... On your lunch-hour?

          JENNIFER
               Yes.
                         (against her better judgement)
               You?

          DAVID
               People watching.

                    A beat.

          JENNIFER
               Wait, what?

          DAVID
               I'm watching people.

          JENNIFER
               Who?

          DAVID
               People... y'know, people, just... people walking past,
               in the park.

          JENNIFER
               Riiiight.
                         (begins to gather her lunch and leave,
                         can't help but ask)
               You're really just sitting here, watching people?

          DAVID
               Pretty much.

          JENNIFER
               pretty much?

          DAVID
               Well, sometimes I walk around a little.

          JENNIFER
               But... It's... That's just... Why?

          DAVID
                         (humorous deadpan)
               I'm a serial killer.
                         (JENNIFER laughs, in spite of herself)
               No, really, I read the handbook. Bundy wrote a lot of
               it, he's quite good. Part of the whole serial-killer
               aesthetic is sitting in the park, picking out your
               victims. Traditionally speaking, I should be wearing a
               black hat, but I'm kind of cheap.

          JENNIFER
                         (essaying with caution)
               I guess the Fraternal Brotherhood of Psychopath's will
               have to cite you for union violations.

          DAVID
               Let them bitch, I never paid my union dues in the first
               place.

                    They laugh.

          JENNIFER
               Seriously though--

          DAVID
               Only if I have to be.

          JENNIFER
               Why watch people in a park? I mean, it's not like their
               all that interesting.

          DAVID
               Really?

          JENNIFER
               Really.

          DAVID
               Pick one.

          JENNIFER
               Pick one what?

          DAVID
               Pick one of these oh-so-interesting people, and I'll
               tell you how they can be quite so interesting.

          JENNIFER
                         (checking her watch, smiling)
               Oh-Kay... Fine, why not. Why not try...

        

                    next fragment

          DAVID
               and she comes to sit in the park every day at lunchtime
               to--

          JENNIFER
               pick up a new set of de-crypted cables from her contact

          DAVID
               to send back to her handler behind the IRON CURTAIN!!!

          JENNIFER
               or she could be picking up a dossier on a new contract
               hit

          DAVID
                         (spotting something)
               or spying on a clandestine diplomatic meeting
                         (pointing)

          JENNIFER
               What, those two? By the pond? HAH! The duck pond of
               detente.

          DAVID
               Buh-dum Psh!

          JENNIFER
                         (long pause)
               Maybe... Maybe she comes down here because it's the
               only sunlight she gets to see in the day. Because
               Monday through Friday for four years she's come down
               here to the same park bench and eaten the same lunch.

          DAVID
               Always the same?

          JENNIFER
               The food changes, but it always tastes the same. And no
               matter what she does, she can't figure out how to
               change it. She'll always be here.

                    Long, maudlin pause.

          DAVID
               Naaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
                         (any long, emphatic sound of negation
                         will do)

          JENNIFER
               What?

                  

                  

No comments:

Post a Comment