20 February 2011

On Eulogies, Police, Woodcarving, and what passes for a Riot.

A man was shot by another man. This is not news.
One man was homeless. This is not news.
That man made things with his hands. This is not news.
The other regularly carried a gun. This is not news.
The other was a cop. This is news.

"SPD doesn't protect you. SPD controls you." This is not news.
"The Greatest Tyranny is that which perpetrated under color of law." This is not news.
"Roast a pig." This is not news.
I wore a mask. This is not news.
I assaulted a man. This is not news.
I pushed his bike, pushed him. This is not news.
That man was a cop. This is news.
That man, that woman, those others, they used pepper spray. This is news.

One man made things with his hands.
The other was a cop.
This is news.

I wear a face shield. This is not news.
I wear a uniform. This is not news.
I carry a gun. This is not news.
This is my job. This is not news.
I am a person. This is not news.
He was one of us. This is news.

One man.
The other.
This is news.

Today, I stood in the light.
I wore no mask.
I needed no face-shield.
He was my brother.
He was one of us.
But today, we didn't need pepper spray
hastily scrawled slogans
uniforms
costumes
only light, and words, and a place to stand

Two men.
This is not news.
This is eulogy.

------------
The photos that sourced some of the images are here.
Some images here came from my brief first-hand observation.
Some images here came from TV (regrettably, Q13 FOX).
This is as close as I will dare to come to eulogizing John T. Williams.
I wish the "anarchists" of Friday's antics had restrained themselves to any fraction of that degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment